Terms of reference for a position as a Lead Surgical Data Scientist at IRCAD Africa
IRCAD (Research Institute against Digestive Cancer) was founded in 1994 in Strasbourg, France by Prof. Jacques Marescaux, a surgeon fascinated by technology. IRCAD has since become a world leader in advancing and teaching minimally invasive surgery. The institutes of IRCAD France (located in Strasbourg) and IRCAD Africa (located in Kigali, Rwanda) have a world-leading and combined Surgical Data Science (SDS) team of approximately 30 individuals, whose mission is to improve surgery using computer technologies and machine learning. We are currently looking for a talented lead surgical data scientist to join this team, to play a major role in reaching our research objectives.
IRCAD Africa (Kigali, Rwanda)
The new building opens at end of 2022.
Role and responsibilities
Your responsibility as a Lead Surgical Data Scientist will be to assist in leading the research of various projects, centered on the creation of AI-driven technologies to improve the outcomes of surgery, for use in both western countries and Africa. You will be responsible for supervising junior SDS researchers centered in IRCAD Africa, proposing and testing novel algorithms, designing and executing formal clinical validation of the systems, helping create high-quality medical image datasets in collaboration with our annotation team, and publishing a selection of research results in top international journals and conferences. You will also dedicate some of your time to conducting your research, mainly focused on AI-based medical image processing, and work closely with the team’s research leadership.
- Ph.D. in machine learning, medical image analysis, or computer vision
- Proven track record of research excellence and peer-reviewed publications
- Postdoctoral research experience in academia or industry is highly desirable
- Involvement in the academic community (peer-reviewing, workshop organization, etc.) is desirable
- Strong experience in image processing and machine learning tools, particularly Pytorch and/or TensorFlow
- Experience in supervising junior researchers (Ph.D. students, Masters students, and/or AI engineers)
- Strong desire to improve healthcare, and especially surgery in Africa, using AI-based technologies
The salary will depend on the individual profile.
You will need to submit your CV and cover letter to the contact below. After an initial round of selection, you will be invited to a round of interviews with the team’s leaders (Alexandre Hostettler, Toby Collins & Flavien Bridault), held either in Kigali (if possible) or with remote video conference calls.
Alexandre Hostettler – Head of Surgical Data Science
IRCAD France – IRCAD Africa